Monday, August 6, 2012

Veggie Girl?


When I was about 20 years old, I decided to stop eating meat.  I still had eggs, (sparingly), and cheese, and once in a blue moon I would eat a few shrimp, but that was the extent of it.  When I became pregnant with my first child at age 25, the meat cravings began, and I started eating it again.

Since then, I, (for about 2 years between the ages of about 38 to 40), gave up all pork and shellfish.  That didn't last either.  Though, I know in my heart of hearts that both are very bad for you.  

Most years I give up meat for the entire 40 days of Lent.  Some years this was not difficult.  Some years, it's been hard.

About two (I think) years ago, we started doing Meatless Fridays.  As a convert to our Catholic faith, I somehow missed the boat on this.  Though a lot of Catholics no longer "do" meatless Fridays... for some reason they think it's no longer a "requirement".   I looked in the Catechism... we 'are' supposed to still be giving up 'something' on Fridays.  Because every single Friday is like a 'little' Good Friday.  So even if you still want to eat meat on a Friday, at least deny yourself 'something', or, say some extra prayers.  Not everything has to be 'taken away' or 'denied'. You can always 'add' to prayers, works of mercy, and so forth. :)  Anyway...

I've been buying a lot of natural foods. Quinoa, muesli, oat groats, granola, lentils, peas, and beans. Bulgar.  Barley.  The kids and I have been eating these things off and on.  But I am ready to 'step it up'.  

About two days ago, I was watching a video on youtube, and the couple were making lentil soup for themselves.  My hippie tastebuds started drooling and craving, and I bought 2 sacks of lentils.  Hubby asked about them, and I told him about the video and that I wanted to make some lentil soup.  He admitted he too, likes lentil soup.  Whaaaaat?   Wow.  News to me!!  Little comments like this give me hope.  LOL

Last night the four of us were watching television.  The girls and I got up and got a yogurt and some granola.  Hubby watched us, and then got himself some.  My. Husband. Ate. Granola.  *shock*  And even more shocking, was his, "Hey, this stuff is GOOD."  Wow.  Just.. WOW!  I can't believe it! :)  *does happy dance*  There is hope for us yet!

 I am going to make the lentil soup today I think.  I'm craving it.  I have several bags of dried beans and so forth in the pantry, as well as frozen peas.  So I have quite the supply.  My thinking is this:  I am going to 'try' and just be meatless during the week.  Not every day.  Just, say, Monday through Friday.  I may have days when I eat a little... I'm not going to beat myself up about it.  I would LIKE to say I was also giving up all refined flours and sugars and caffeine AND dairy.  But no.. I am just not 'there' yet.  Though I am limiting my refined flours and sugars, and I believe that is a good start.  Such as, yesterday I only had a half cup of coffee, and then fruit water all day.  Finally last night I had two glasses of green tea with honey.   Not exactly great but better than guzzling sweet tea or Cocola all day long!

Rome wasn't built in a day.  And all of us are works in progress.  In my continued efforts for our family to eat better, and more healthy... this 'has' to start with me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment