Friday, June 8, 2012

My Own Crockpot Recipes


These are all "tried and true" recipes that I make.  I will add more as I have time. :)


Crockpot Easy Beef Stroganoff  (crockpot)

2 lb. stew meat or round steak
2 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
2 cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
Pepper
Noodles

Put stew meat in crock pot, coat with lots of black pepper. Cook for 2 hours on high, stirring occasionally. Add cream cheese and cream of mushroom soup. Reduce heat to low and cook for 4 hours or 2 hours on high. Add milk to reach proper consistency. Serve over cooked noodles or rice.

**************************************************

Chicken Chili  (crockpot)

Inspired by my sweet friend Angela!  She came to visit, and she likes chili, but not a beef eater.  So I made Chicken Chili. We were so surprised how good it was.  I hope you will enjoy it too.  Mmm we have added this to our list of favorites!


In the crockpot, add in two 28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes.
In a food grinder, grind up about 2 lbs of chicken meat.  We used half chicken breasts and half thighs.  All boneless and skinless.  Brown the chicken meat in a large frying pan (I used my cast iron) in a little oil until fully cooked.  Add it to the crock pot, along with a chopped onion, minced garlic, two cans of dark red kidney beans, one can of whole kernal corn; drained, and a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes.  Add chili seasoning to taste, and corn masa (that you make homemade tortillas with) to thicken.  Sorry I don't know the measurements of either... I just put in what looks right.  It's easy to add a little more and adjust it later.  I shake in a little blessed salt and stir it all up.  Put on HIGH, and go to church. :)    

When you come in from mass, your chili is hot and bubbling and waiting on you.  Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.  Yummy topped with grated cheddar cheese, or crackers, or corn bread.  :)

*****************************************************

Italian Beef  (crockpot)

This recipe was given to me by my friend Amber. (Thanks Amber!) This is so easy!  


Just buy a cheap pot roast, Throw it in the crock with 2 bullion cubes (I used the beef granules) and several pepperocini peppers (I use about 7) and about 1/3 cup of the pepper juice and one cup of water (this is NOT HOT OR SPICY). I also chopped up an onion and added some minced garlic. Cook on LOW for at LEAST 8 hours (I cooked it 11 hours because I went out, but it was just fine)  until it shreds into strings easily.  Taste it, and you can always add a little more of the peppers if you want, or, like me, I added a little more of the beef granules.  My friend says you can add anything to this. Maybe some au jus. Also good on mashed potatoes, noodles, rice.   It's one of those recipes you can add anything to - mushrooms, tomatoes, green veggies. Leftovers make great beef soup. I boiled some red potatoes "whole" and we're going to eat some of the beef over potatoes for dinner.  We were starving when we came in from church, and we spooned some into a hamburger buns and had it for lunch.  Made the bun mushy, but it sure tasted good. :)  I'm sure hard rolls or crusty bread of some sort would have been better.  Don't be turned off by the peppers.  I am a coward with spicy stuff and I love it.  :)  My friend's little granddaughter loves it, and so do my kids! :) Enjoy!!

*************************

Spaghetti Sauce (crockpot)


Talk about the height of laziness.. LOL Now y'all can see how bad I really am! :)  You can make this and serve over pasta, or, if you're watching your carbs, spoon it over cooked spaghetti squash.  It's absolutely dellish!!

Night before: Dump 1 lb (or more) of ground chuck, 1 whole chopped uponion, & a teaspoon or so of garlic, & put into a huge microwave-safe bowl, & nuke it in the microwave for about 5 minutes or so. Take out, chop it up, stir, see if it needs to cook anymore. If its still pink, pop in for a few minutes. Once it's all done, drain off all the grease.  (I have been known to put mine in the colander and RINSE it to get all the grease out.)  Set the bowl of cooked meat in the fridge, & go to bed.  If you want it meatless, skip that step.  You can use vegetarian meatballs or TVP instead. :)  Or.. just go with the sauce itself and add more veggies.  

Next morning, whip out your handy dandy crockpot. (our secret weapon!) Dump in the bowl of meat & onion. Add TWO, 28-oz cans of crushed tomatoes (I use organic only) & a good shake of Italian seasoning. Add mushrooms (the darker, the better),or black olives or even broccoli or zucchini if you feel froggy. Put on the lid, & go your merry way.  Cook on low for at least 8 hours.  

That evening, cook your spaghetti noodles & ladle on the sauce. Nummy.

Now then... WHY I used crushed tomatoes instead of prepared spaghetti sauce? Easy. Prepared spaghetti sauce is full of sugar & filler, and Heaven only knows what else. This is healthier & Tastier. :)  I call this my "Earth Mother" spaghetti sauce. 

Bon appetit!

**********************************

Crockpot Lentil Soup (Vegetarian)

1  1 lb sack of lentils, washed and drained and carefully picked over
1 large onion, minced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 vegetarian bouillon cube
2 or 3 carrots, scraped and sliced
2 stalks of celery thinly sliced (optional)
1 can of diced OR stewed tomatoes
1 tsp of basil
1 bay leaf
4 cups of water
salt and pepper to taste

Put everything in your crock pot and cook on high for about 6 hours.  Taste it, and adjust seasoning. :)  After it's cooked, make sure you pick out the bay leaf! :)

************************

 Crockpot Baked Potatoes:

I got this from my friend Karen's list.  Thank you Karen!  

"Here's an "easy" way to make baked potatoes without using the oven.  Put 1/4 cup of water in a crockpot and put in as many potatoes as you like (scrubbed of course)...no poking necessary btw.  Put it on low and let it cook all day, and at dinner time you have a crock full of the lovely goodies!"

**********************************************

White Bean Soup (meatless)

1 sack (16 oz) of White Northern Beans (you can use any bean I guess, this is just our favorite)
Soak overnight and pick over. Rinse and dump into your crockpot the next morning.  Cover with water... about 2 inches over the beans.   Add 2 bay leaves, 2 bouillon packets of your choice, a large chopped onion, minced garlic to taste, and about 2 or 3 carrots scraped and sliced, (I use about 15 baby carrots cut into thirds)   You can probably cook on low for 8 hours, but I've never tried that.  I cook mine on high, and if I turn it on first thing in the morning, it's done by lunchtime.   For the bouillon, I've used veggie bouillon put out by Knorr, but our favorite is to use 2 of the small packets of Goya Ham Seasoning.  You can get a small box of it at Food Lion, and it has (I think) 6 packets in the little box.   It adds a nice ham taste but is still within Church definition of "meatless".  :)   If you make a double batch, you can have it again the next day with diced smoked ham or cooked sliced sausage added. :)    Added note:  Some folks add a can of diced tomatoes to their soup.  I never have.  
Enjoy!

***********************************************

+JMJ+

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment