Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Occupation: Mother


Anyone who thinks that housewives don't have a "job" is dead wrong.  I have been a stay-at-home-mom for the greater part of 18 years.  And this is our third year of homeschooling.

To blow away some misconceptions:  I don't watch soaps.  Actually I watch very little television.  I don't spend my days shopping.  I do most of my shopping with my husband and kids, and we shop together.  Though I do run up to Publix by myself if they have a sale. :)

Last night on the phone, I asked my mother, "Mom, do you ever feel like you spend your entire life cooking and doing laundry?"  She didn't hesitate.  "Yes!"  

This may sound like a complaint... but it's a masked one.  I detest doing laundry, but it makes me feel good to see the empty clothes basket, and to see my family's clothes hung up nicely in their closets, ready to be chosen to wear.  I remember prior to Robyn's birth, I spent a year dutifully ironing all of Amy's school clothes every Sunday evening.  Yep.  For a whole year.  I am glad to say I got over that.  LOL  I did it, because I wanted to be a "good mom".  I don't iron anymore, but I feel like I'm a better mom now.. not because of ironing, (or not), but because of other things..

My days consist of cooking three meals a day, doing all the dishes afterwards, plus washing clothes for four people, trying to keep things cleaned up... and homeschooling my eleven year old daughter. Not all necessarily in that order.  

I love cooking. As a Southern Momma, (anyone being raised in the South at all), means that food=love.  Yes, I know that probably sounds terrible.  But it's true.  I love cooking for my family... and friends!  I may complain about snapping pounds of green beans, peeling potatoes, and sometime the 'prep work' can be very time consuming... but when you see your family eagerly digging in, it makes it all worth it.

I love going and buying fresh farm eggs. (look at the difference and you can SEE why!) Farm eggs have bigger, nicer yolks, a deeper yellow, more flavor, and NO caged chickens, or genetically altered feed or hormones!)

I love menu planning, and finding new recipes. I love going across town to get the 'good' organic oats.  I love going to the Farmer's Market and buying the best, freshest produce that I can.. and spoiling my family.

Maybe it's a sin... but I take pride in it.  I love feeding people.  I love filling up bellies. :)    

People sometimes tell me I'm on the computer 'a lot'.  Yep.  Sure am!!  But maybe not as much as they think!  I do leave it on.. and then as I take a few minutes to sit down, I sit 'here' and spend a few minutes looking and reading and maybe a little typing... it gives me a few minutes of "me" time... before I go back and get busy again.  It's a nice break.  And I can make it as short or as long as I want/need to.

Just because I am a housewife, don't assume my home is perfect.  It's not.  I have a husband, two kids, two dogs, and two guinea pigs.  And they ALL need care, and time.  Each want their own, personal "mom" time and with that comes undivided attention.  They deserve that.

I love my "job".  I love making out Robyn's lesson planner each week, and finding new books (or she finds them!) for us to discover.  Arts & crafts, learning new things... discovering!

I love being proud of them as I watch them learn and grow and excel.  It makes me fiercely proud to see how my daughters have grown.  I love that Amy is an adult now, and going to the campus for classes.  I love how my Robyn is not a little girl anymore, but a big girl growing into a young lady.  I know that one day, they too, will be wives and mothers.  Pink Heart

2 comments:

  1. Susan,

    Being a mother is sometimes difficult, a lot of hard work but also the best job in the world. I wouldn't do anything else.

    I love your online 'me' time. I do that as well.

    You and Andy would get on so well, swapping recipes as you prepared the vegetables. He loves cooking for us. His meals are a real occasion of love, just like yours.

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy reading posts of homeschooling moms, who love their housewifing duties, especially cooking! (Something I wish I could enjoy more myself ....) But the work of a mother at home, taking care of her family, is a work of love that glorifies God! Thanks for following my blog. Glad to have discovered yours!

    ReplyDelete