Friday, December 16, 2011

Cookies & Recipes


I've been doing a lot of baking... as I mentioned a few days ago.   Here is the platter of my oatmeal varieties.  I took one basic recipe, and made it a few different ways... adding different things to make each batch different.  The darker ones are where I added cocoa powder.  I also added pecans, cinnamon, dried cranberries, peanut butter, and chocolate chips to different batches.  You can click on the pictures for a better view. :)



These below are the oatmeal with cranberries.  They are the "Craisins" and are blueberry flavored.  Yum!



And the dough was pretty delish too. :)  We could barely stay out of it. LOL  



SOUTHERN OATMEAL COOKIES

1 c. Wesson oil
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. white granulated sugar
2 well beaten eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. sifted flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
3 c. quick cooking oats
1/2 c. chopped walnuts or pecans
Thoroughly cream shortening (Wesson oil) and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Sift dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture. Add oats and nuts; mix well. Chill and slice from rolls or drop by teaspoon on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Makes 4-5 dozen.  Add different yummies as desired to change it up. ;)

Lastly, but certainly not least, are the coveted peanut butter cookies. 


Best Peanut Butter Cookies Ever
INGREDIENTS:
2 cups peanut butter
2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
2.In a medium bowl, stir peanut butter and sugar together until smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the baking soda, salt, and vanilla. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place them 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets. Press a criss-cross into the top using the back of a fork.
3.Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

8 comments:

  1. Susan, I am going to print off these recipes. The girls will enjoy making them! Just had a thought. I will post some of our cookie recipes for you. Have you ever made Anzac biscuits? I have a great recipe with a couple of variations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy you are going to let your girls try these! They are really delicious cookies. My personal favorite it the Oatmeal Cookie recipe liberally sprinkled with cinnamon. :)

    I have never heard of Anzac biscuits. I would love the recipe, thank you! We love trying new things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I googled it and it looks like a 'hard' oatmeal cookie with coconut in it. Is that right? Sounds yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, Anzac biscuits are distinctly Australian (and New Zealand). Can't think what the adjective is for New Zealand. Australians and New Zealanders... Australian biscuits and... ?? biscuits. Soldiers' wives and girlfriends used to bake them and post them off to their loved ones during the war. The biscuits had to be hard and dry in order to stay fresh. These days the recipes have been adjusted to give a softer texture - lots of golden syrup. Delicious! We have experimented with the basic recipe to make coconut-free ones and chocolate Anzac biscuits. Not traditional perhaps, but yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did read that.. and the fact that there are no eggs in them. Mark LOVES coconut. :) I think they would be a hit at our house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, I have printed off the recipes! What is Wesson oil and can I substitute anything else if I can't get it?

    When we have baked the cookies I will post photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wesson oil is just a brand of vegetable oil we have here. You can use any oil or even margarine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. When are they ever going to come up with smellivision????

    ReplyDelete